SPS Argos Section

If you have a complaint

If you have a complaint about the Sainsbury’s Pension Scheme, you should contact the Scheme administrator for the Argos Section in the first instance to see if they can resolve it.

If they can’t, they will send you a copy of the Scheme’s internal dispute resolution procedure. This is a formal complaint procedure that will set out the steps you need to follow.

Formal complaints must be made in writing.